It is official. BJP has decided to project Dr. Harshvardhan as its Chief Ministerial candidate for the Delhi Assembly Elections 2014. But who is Dr. Harshvardhan?
This lesser known name in national politics has been in the news for quite a well due to discontent in the party over candidature of Vijay Goel, currently president of Delhi unit of BJP:
- Dr. Harshvardhan is a practising ENT surgeon who also has a clinic in Krishna Nagar, East Delhi.Krishna Nagar is also his assembly constituency.
- He is known for his simplicity and accessibility in his constituency as people who reside in East Delhi recollect several occasions when he solved their problems hands-on.
- He is already a four time MLA and is tipped to retain his seat for the fifth time straight in a row.
- It is interesting to note that he is MLA from an area which falls in the parliamentary constituency of Delhi’s current CM Sheila Dikshit’s son Sandeep Dikshit.
- He also has a strong support from the Muslims of his area especially from Khureji and Rashid Market.
- He has been health minister of Delhi when BJP was in power in Delhi Assembly.
- He holds a great respect within BJP due to his skills as an administrator. After 2003 elections, when BJP lost, Harshvardhan built the party structure back from scratch and won an unprecedented third term as BJP President for himself.
- He was born in 1954 to a non-political family and joined RSS out of passion to do something beyond his profession as a doctor.
Delhi goes to election in seven weeks from now on December 4. This means the newly appointed CM candidate, Dr. Harshvardhan has a lot of campaigning to do in order to match the efforts put by the incumbent Sheila Dikshit